Sunday, May 1, 2011

80 Prompts: 7. What were your best and worst subjects in school or college?

What were your best and worst subjects in school or college?

There are several ways that I could answer this question...I've never really done poorly academically, so I don't really have anything to say about having a "worst" subject. There were subjects that I enjoyed and subjects that I didn't enjoy very much, however.

Best:
Art, language classes, linguistics, lit classes, theology classes, geometry, earth/environmental sciences, biology, and history. Basically anything that has large amounts of reading or writing interesting things and/0r useful things associated with it . Also, if I can practically apply it to my life somehow (like geometry and biology), I will enjoy it and do well in it. I like courses that have complex thoughts and ideas about life and I love metaphor (I really do love metaphor, I'm not just using the word "love" here to sound cool).

Worst:
Algebra and chemistry. Balancing chemical equations and solving x in complex equations has never been useful to me in real life (aside from helping me understand xkcd comics from time to time). At least geometry is helpful with craft projects and designing and arranging things, algebra does very little in practicality. I appreciate algebra and chemistry and understand that they are useful in the areas to which they apply, but my life doesn't intersect with those areas very often (well...on a level where I am required to know what's going on in a technical sense...chemistry and algebra are always going on around us, we just never really realize it...).

1 comment:

  1. Chemistry blows. Every time I hear that someone is majoring in chemistry; I have a silent freak-out.

    ReplyDelete