Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Knitting thoughts...

I often find myself knitting when I have things to think about and have the time to knit. There is some sort of psychological connection (for me, anyway) between fiddling around with something and thinking through something else. I don't know why that is...

The world just seems so much simpler when I am sitting here going "knit one, purl one, knit one, purl one, knit one, purl one, knit one, purl one, knit one, purl one..." with my hands while my mind is somewhere else. It's like the fact that I have this simple little thing in my hands that I can create makes the fact that I can't control life and that things out there can get so complicated a little bit easier to not stress out over.

Anyway...I am currently in the middle of a few knitting projects at home (heaven only knows how many I have started at school but haven't finished yet...). Sometimes when I get frustrated with one project, I start another one. Working through the new one often helps me fix my problems with the old one...for example, I was getting very frustrated with my mitten project, so I stopped working on it and began to do some stuff with double pointed needles and yoga socks. By the time I finished the first yoga sock I understood what my problem with my mitten was...happy day!

I think this sort of has a lot to say about how life works. Sometimes you run into problems and it's like you are bashing your head against a brick wall, trying to knock it down. Sometimes a step back from the brick wall shows you the toe-hold that you didn't see before that will help you get over it. Cheezy, yes, I know...

No comments:

Post a Comment