Tuesday, April 26, 2011

80 Prompts: 2. Share a secret about yourself.

I'm randomly choosing numbers off of the list to add a little bit of mystery to the prompt sequence.

Today's prompt:
Share a secret about yourself.

I'm not really in to sharing secrets about myself, but here goes:

I have a secret desire to join a circus. I'm thoroughly convinced that the life of a circus performer is one of the most "legit" existences on the face of the earth. I would, of course, have some reservations towards the circus costumes; I'm not much for wearing "bedazzled" and/or flashy things on my person, with the exception of my sequined zebra flats (zebras make everything cooler). Flashy attire aside, working for the circus would be pretty nifty. Who wouldn't want to run around with clowns, elephants, stilted people, and bearded ladies all day? Also, imagine the stunned and disbelieving looks on people's faces after a conversation such as this:
Stranger: "What do you do for a living?"
Me: "Oh, you know, I'm a mime at the circus."
Stranger: [insert priceless facial expression while trying to find something nice to say that isn't awkward here]

If I were in a circus, I would be either trapeze artist or a mime. Trapeze people are totally hardcore. They pretty much spend their lives flying about over other people's heads and doing insane, death-defying things that their audiences cheer for, AND they get paid for having fun! No one else can jump through flaming hoops, dragging another person without some sort of legal action following. It's one of the best gigs I've ever heard of!

On to the subject of mimes: mimes are great. Perhaps my introversion finds something sort of peaceful about a person entertaining people with silence. Talk about Jedi mind-control powers! I think mime jokes are really just acts of jealousy, since it takes an uncontrollable amount of coolness to be one. Don't despair, mimes, your pain has not gone unnoticed!

Also, people who picket circuses make me angry (as a side note). Do they really have nothing better to do than stand around and pick apart an institution invented for the enjoyment of children? I could understand picketing a circus in the 1800s when animal rights weren't really an issue that crossed anyone's mind, but in 201l, I don't think circus-haters have all that much to be concerned about. A person can hardly even take his or her own dog on a merry afternoon walk without enraging some maniac about the dog having feelings, and the inhumanity of collars and leashes...blahblahblah. When human trafficking, clean water, education in third world countries, starvation, child armies, deforestation, and genocide are no longer issues, I may begin to care a little bit more about whether elephants prefer to sleep on down-feather pillows or hay. I love animals and care about how humans treat them, I just don't think circuses in America should be a pressing issue on our consciences. If you do picket circuses, however, don't picket on April Fools Day. This happened near my school and I was confused for the rest of the day about whether the protest was all an elaborate joke that I was missing, or if it was actually a serious event. Dates are important, people.

Well, I hope this has been enlightening for you.
Share a secret, if you want, or tell me what you think about circuses, mimes, and/or trapeze artists.


3 comments:

  1. If I joined the circus I would want to be the ring master. You get to wear coattails and direct people's attention to anywhere. Sounds pretty awesome!

    Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Let us focus our attention to the center ring while you are going to be dazzled by the one; (dramatic pause); the only (dramatic pause) mime trapeze artist!

    ^Pretty good, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i personally love your rant about the pickets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, thanks (and that is pretty good, Kim).

    ReplyDelete